Magento 2 Dutch language pack analysis
There are three competing Magento 2 Dutch language packs to be found, freely available. We’ll do a quantative analysis of these. The three competitors are (in alphabetical order):
The creaminternet package appears to be a fork of the Adwise package.
The H&O package is an imported set from the Crowdin Magento 2 project.
Since the translation sets are huge, we have done a quantitative analysis instead of a qualitative analysis. Below are the results, followed by our methodlogy.
We have checked for:
- the percentage of strings that are actually translated;
- the percentage of typos/unknown words in the translations;
- the percentage of strings that suffer from what we Dutchies call the ‘English disease’ (wrongly capitalizing All Words In A Sentence).
|Language pack||Commits||Strings||Untranslated %||Unknown words %||English disease %|
|Adwise / magento2-nl_NL-language||21||8345||8.4%||8%||3.4%|
|creaminternet / language-nl_nl||44||8342||8.6%||7.6%||3.7%|
So from these statistics, it appears the H&O/Crowdin translation is the most complete, because it has the most strings. This is also the package that is crowd-sourced through Crowdin, which means of the three, this will most likely be the most updated one.
According to Adwise, they manually and painstakingly went through the translations to keep a clear, concise and consistent tone of voice. We haven’t checked ourselves but this should be a higher quality package, although it contains less translations.
The spellcheck was done using the open source package Hunspell. The English & Dutch dictionaries for Hunspell was downloaded from Elastic’s Hunspell repository and placed in the Hunspell path (run
hunspell -D to view yours).
The hack-n-slash PHP script we used to generate these statistics;
There are some caveats to this methodology, so the absolute numbers might not be accurate. But since the same methodology is used for all three packages, this is okay.
- Some words might be the same in Dutch & English, so a ‘not translated’ might actually be a false negative;
- Some words are not in the Dutch dictionary but are valid words, or names, or HTML tags, or placeholders, etc.